Changed for Purpose

It is has been a desire, a passion, a dream and a goal of mine since starting a career as a nurse to do more for others, now that I can no longer WORK, I can still help by making others across the nation and around the world more aware of the Invisible monster that has already attacked and literally changed the lives of millions. I began the journey of hospice nursing, in aiding and helping families and patients in the disease, dying, death and grieving process to cope with their illness and what to expect next. Now my journey in life is carrying me in another direction, yet helping others.

I do believe that I am a Woman of Purpose and my sickness does not define me or my Destiny, I still have a job to do for the Lord, as long as their is breath in my body, I shall continue the assignment I have been assigned to do, since the Foundations of the World.

I also want to share with you an opportunity for Support on the local, national and global levels. I pray the pages of this journal will help you with your own Journey.

Veronica Moore

Saturday, June 18, 2011

More travel tips


If you are like me, having been diagnosed with one of those "Invisible" disease of the which I am debating as to whether it is invisible or not, because anyone with eyes can look upon the face of one in Debilitating Pain and SEE, the PAIN. Perhaps you have those invisible friends, your other friends cannot see: the "Fibromonster" and her sidekick, "Allodynia", In preparing to travel or just to go to the grocery store I find I needed to take special precautions and measures to ensure that I could (1) keep up (2) Avoid a flairup and the Fog (3) Avoid a major case of uncontrollable pain and fatigue on the journey between point A and B of my trip. It's no easy task and it takes planning and care to manage.

I want to share some tidbits and tips to managing a busy exciting, refreshing and relaxing vacation, without the twins (Fibromonster and Allodynia). Now of course all of us are unique and our diseases are different in the way they manifest in each of our bodies so this is general information that you can tailor to meet your own needs. I'm am all for the easy straight route to the solution of whatever may arise.

(1) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH OF YOUR MEDICATION ON HAND. Plan ahead and be sure that you even take a extra "just in case". You never know if weather or transportation, flat tires, dead batteries, a missed flight, will be a problem and cause a delay in your travel plans. ALWAYS TAKE EXTRA.

Also, NEVER take whole bottle of prescription medications, unless they are your NARCOTICS. Save some smaller old RX bottles or purchase the small plastic baggies (in the pharmacy dept) and transfer what you need and leave the rest at home. That way if there is a situation where meds are lost, you still have some when you return home. Check out the weather channel before you head out, if you are headed for the Gulf coast, are you going during Hurricane season, are you going through the Tornado valley, are you headed toward a place where there is a chance of being snowed or flooded in.

2.) Take extra comfort measures, for example ointments for pain relief, instant cold packs, ThermaCare Heat Wraps or whatever is your preference. There are a variety of wraps for different areas of the body and the heating mechanisms last for a good 8 hours and sometimes more.
Another comfort measure I take is a really good and comfortable pillow and/or blanket that I use at home. (Or purchase an extra one like the one you use at home) For me, this saves A LOT of headache, neck ache and frustration. Having the "right" pillow or blanket while on vacation can make things go much smoother for you and really, it only takes up a little extra space.
Take along extra over the counter medications that will help you feel better on your trip. Who wants the hassle of the ever present overactive stomach, bladder, headaches, muscle tension...etc without an immediate and reachable "buddy" to help you out?

Here's a few favorites from my list, and many others in my Therapy Bag:
A) chewable Pepto-Bismol tablets (or generic version)
B) Dulcolax stool softener (or generic version)
C) Excedrine Migraine (or generic version)
D) chewable vitamin C.
E)Arnica for muscle pain. (You can find it in most health food stores such as Sprouts)
F) chewable Junior Tylenol for the kids. (or generic version)
G) Uristat or a similar remedy for a urinary tract infections (*or take cranberry supplements with you for a daily dose to maintain a natural balance in the body)
H) Band-aids of all sizes AND Friction Block stick by Band-aid. (This product is AWESOME for your feet! I keep mine in my purse to keep my feet from blistering.)
I) Imitrex for Migraine
J)Softee Socks
K)Softee Gloves
L)Knuckles
M)Softee slippers
N)Cool eye pad
O)Favorite music
P)Favorite book
Q) Journal
R)TherapyCow, (my most favorite heating pad)
S)StressFree Bath and Lotion Toiletry items

Some other "buddies" to consider are: anti-nausea medication, motion sickness help, ear plugs, extra eye glasses or sunshades, anti-snoring helps, contact lens cleaners/re-wetting drops, sinus medications, allergy medications, etc...

Keep your "buddies" in an accessible place/bag that is near to you either on the plane or in the vehicle. It takes a lot of stress away when you know help & comfort is an arms length away. It's worth it to have things on hand that you don't have to worry about going out and finding later or when you're in a bind. Get travel sizes and minis so that you're not stuck with tons of bottles and boxes taking up huge amounts of space or putting a dent in your wallet. There are all kinds of inexpensive organizers out there that can easily accommodate a nice little portable way to keep everything easily accessible and manageable.

Keep your clothing and shoe choices realistic with your activity level and body pain management. If you know you're going to need more comfy clothes rather than dressy restrictive clothing, then find stylish but comfortable clothing and shoes to take with you. You know best your limitations. I personally take 3-4 outfits that are super comfy and stretchy because there are days when I need to wear soft and stretchy clothing that I don't necessarily need to button or zip or that allows my muscles to relax. Sometimes a pair of Capris, shorts or sweats and a soft cotton T-shirt paired with tennis-shoes or no heel shoes are just right. The key is to dress in a way that works for pain management but still makes you feel good about yourself so that you can relax and make the most each day and activity. Remember one of my favorite sayings: "Fight for your quality of life!"...

(3) Don't allow yourself to rush, be push too hard, or take on more that you can handle. Remember to listen to your body, when it tells you to stop and rest. Fibromyalgia and the twins: Fibromonster and Allodynia is hard enough to deal with. You have it/them, period. If other's can't or won't accept it, do what you have to do to make your trip comfortable. You may have to pass that game of volleyball or the walk on the beach, but the truth is, you made it as far as you did, remember you have to get back home.

So what about your travel tips and hints, do you have any to share? Post some of them here for all of us to read and take advantage of. I'm always looking for good ideas and suggestions to make fighting for my quality of life a little easier.
you ARE NOT alone. Don't suffer in silence. Find ways to reach out and connect with others who are going through what you are going through. There is strength to be found in the understanding of another who shares your situation. (((HUG)))

Have a blessed, stressfree, flare free, safe trip and by all means, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment